Welcome to Adria Willenson Fine Art. My name is Adria Willenson and I am a mixed media and textile artist based in Southeastern Wisconsin. This website will showcase my fine art, murals and custom personal accessories.
Since childhood, I have had a deep appreciation for nature and this has served as a constant theme in my art. I find daily inspiration for my art as my home is located within walking distance to the Schlitz Audubon Nature Preserve. While I have enjoyed working in many mediums, the current focus of my work is in the area of textile arts using natural materials.
My great uncle, Carlos Hermosilla Álvarez, was a printmaker from Chile and grew up surrounded by his beautifully, detailed prints. I am also inspired by the early 1900 Mexican artists such as Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo. Artists such as Chagall and Rothko, with their rich colors and subject matters, have also influenced my work as well.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE – GRAPHIC DESIGN
University Of WI-Madison — 1994-1998
MASTERS OF ART – VISUAL STUDIES
Cardinal Stritch University — 2002-2004
“DESIGN FOR DIVERSITY” – SCHOOL OF HUMAN ECOLOGY; UNIVERSITY OF WI-MADISON – 1998
While attending the university, I won a competitive, campus-wide art fellowship, entitled “Design for Diversity,” to paint a mural for the School of Human Ecology. That mural, which included representations of textile and fashion design, consumer science, and child and family studies, has been on permanent display at the School of Human Ecology ever since.
“HOLIDAYS AND LIFE CYCLES” – CENTER FOR LIFELONG LEARNING; CONGREGATION SHALOM – 2007
I created three large-scale murals for Congregation Shalom’s Center for Lifelong Learning. Each mural features a tree in different seasons of the year depicting different life cycle events and holidays. The grant for the design and development of these murals were provided by a fund through the Congregation by the Kennedy/Barnett Family.
ARTIST IN RESIDENCY
CEDARBURG CULTURAL CENTER — SILK PAINTING, MARCH 2012
SOLO & GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- April 27, 2012: The Arts Mill – Grafton, WI “The Arts Mill – 1st Anniversary Show”
- September 23-October 16, 2011: The Schauer Art Center – Hartford, WI “The Artists of the Arts Mill”
- March 11, 2011: The Arts Mill – Grafton, WI ; “The Arts Mill – Grand Opening Show”
- July 16, 2009: Bayshore Town Center Project – Concert Series, Milwaukee, WI; “Live Painting to MYSO Jazz Concert”
- April 2004: Northwestern Mutual Gallery – Milwaukee, WI
“2004 Cardinal Stritch University Graduate Student Thesis Exhibition”
- November 7-30, 2003: Gallery 218 – Milwaukee, WI
“Cardinal Stritch University Graduate Student and Faculty Show”
- October – December 2003: Cosi Café – Fox Point, Wisconsin.
- 2003: The Walker’s Point Center for the Arts – Milwaukee, WI “Annual Members Show”
- 2003: The Annual Meeting of Wisconsin Bar Association
- October 29, 2004: Athenaeum Theatre, Chicago IL – Fluxcore’s “PROMISE LAND – Multicultural Perspectives on the Concept of Journey”
- April – June 2002: Jewish Community Center’s Art Gallery – Milwaukee, WI; “Art Through the Generations”